Skip to main content

Misadventures In Soapmaking: Frozen Edition



Over the years we have had a few giggles in my misadventures in soapmaking... I've melted buckets by trying to liquify solid oils, I've dumped a few pounds of castor oil onto my kitchen floor (More than once actually. Don't ask.) I've cleaned up volcano eruptions from my counters and, well, part of our hallway floor is permanently scented lavender. Could be worse, I tell myself. And my husband. Or, well, he may not have known about the mysterious lavender scent until now. Long term air freshener? It's the new thing, I swear.

I have a knack for keeping myself on my toes with my job. Unintentionally. I play hide and seek with myself multiple, and I mean multiple times a day. Seriously, I need a gps tracking device on my coffee mug and I have successfully hidden 50 lb buckets of oil from myself in the house before. Today, however, I even made myself laugh.

I froze some of my soapmaking equipment in a solid block of ice.

Rewind to yesterday afternoon when I finished a batch of soap and took my buckets and tools outside. As usual, I put my tools in one of the buckets and filled it with the water hose to soak until the next morning. Except that while I was preparing the house and livestock for the drastic temps plummeting to 18 degrees overnight, it never dawned on me that my bucket of soaking tools should probably spend the night inside.

So yeah. Up bright and early this morning, woodstove roaring and I'm ready to make soap when I look out the frosty window and see my bucket of tools. Frozen. Solid.

I deserve extra creative points for this one.

So we brought it in, sat it by the woodstove and then put it in the tub with hot water running on it until we could slide the mass of ice and tools out. Once we had the block free from the bucket it didn't take long to melt the ice away, but I admit the progress was slowed by us laughing and making jokes about soap-sicles the whole time.

Now I'm thawing my frozen hands by the woodstove with the dogs as I write this, planning out the soap making for today. Two 50 pound batches on the agenda by noon, and then packaging cured bars this afternoon.

Unfortunately I can't get started until I find my coffee mug which I swear I just had a minute ago.

It's here. Somewhere.


Popular posts from this blog

Team Greta

Friday, February 9th started off as a normal day in the barn, but as I was doing chores and feeding the horses and goats, I quickly suspected that Greta, one of our La Mancha goats, was showing early signs of labor. It was her due day, so I wasn't surprised. I removed her from the herd and placed her into one of the three kidding stalls in our barn so that she could have some peace and quiet. Four hours later at 10:46am, she delivered two beautiful big twin boys. As per her normal (this is her third year with babies), she was quite proud of herself and insisted on showing them off to me nonstop. The twins were up and wobbling around in no time and Greta was a busy mom fussing over them. Saturday morning was uneventful and Greta and her twins were comfortable in their kidding stall, but by early afternoon, something wasn't right. Greta wasn't finishing her meals and she just seemed tired. I took her temperature at 3pm and it was normal -- 101.9 -- even though she

Here a chick, there a chick... and dealing with burn out.

After taking more than a year off from raising chicks, our first little fuzzy munchkins arrived last week via USPS from a hatchery in Iowa. I ordered them late last fall for their first 2017 delivery date, and instead of going with our usual production layer breeds, I opted for the rare breed section and pretty much just kinda sorted ordered two of everything. Looks like we will have an interesting flock this year but that's not really what I am here to talk about. Living on a farm of any size, especially with livestock, is a lot of work every single day. Goats, chickens and horses don't take holidays off and neither do you; you have the same morning, noon, and evening chores no matter if Santa is flying in or a hurricane is blowing through. Throw in elderly animals with special needs (we've got two horses well into their 30s and a blind dog with congestive heart failure), and you've got an additional element of care and attention on your list. Sometimes you ne

Behind the scenes

If you haven't seen already, we have a YouTube channel that has been pretty active lately... Don't forget you can subscribe to our YouTube channel and keep up with all of our new stuff and silly farm shenanigans!